I recently returned from three weeks holiday in Thailand, it was a slightly delayed honeymoon to be honest. I then had an extra week off before coming back to work. In that whole month, apart from some less than strenuous walking, swimming and site-seeing, I did no exercise what-so-ever. I kept my eating under control, but possibly had three more ice creams than I should have. All in all it was a terrific honeymoon.
But here comes the sting, my blood sugars have been pretty darned high, registering around 10/14 in general. I don’t know if this is a result of the changes from the holiday, the lack of exercise, or if my drugs are working less effectively. It’s a bit scary.
The week that I had back at home with no exercise I was eating healthily and the blood sugars did not improve. Since coming back to work I have been to the gym twice and on both occasions my levels came down to between 5.5 and 6.1 immediately afterwards but in the morning they would be back up to 10 – even though I’d had a light salad for dinner.
So my question is, will my blood sugars come back under control as I get back into the habit of exercise or are my pills becoming less effective and I should think about the insulin option? Perhaps, the pills are already ineffective and it’s only the exercise that is masking the need to move to insulin. I don’t know.
I’m loath to make an appointment with the doctor as I think he may well say, let’s wait until your next HBa1c, as the day-to-day monitoring is seen as less of an effective measure. However my last HBa1c result showed an increase on what had previously been a downwards trend. I keep losing weight, gradually and healthily, but it doesn’t seem to be working.
Insulin scares me. It scares me because it means learning a whole new way of life – or that’s the way it feels. I have only just got used to the diabetes tablets (I take 4 Gliclazide and 4 Metformin a day) and what that means.
So any help or advice you can offer would be much obliged, on any of these issues. Or if you think you can point me in the direction of a helpful resource – that would be great. Should I wait and see or should I head to my doctor’s now and confront this thing head on?