Saturday, 11 June 2011

lessons learnt

It’s coming up to a year now since I started this blog and in many ways I really don’t feel like I know that much more about this disease and its effects on me. For instance I haven’t worked out the lag time between me eating something and my blood sugars going up, or between me having an hour long work-out and my bloods going down. There would appear to be an immediate correlation but then something different seems to happen the day after that I find difficult to explain.

I am only just starting to find out what happens when I sleep in and miss taking my meds till mid day – answer – my blood sugar levels shoot straight back up. So does this mean that from now on all my lie-ins need to be planned so I can have breakfast, take my pills and go back to bed?

I don’t know why it is that alcohol brings down your blood sugar levels but isn’t supposed to be that good for you. I understand it has calories and so forth – but how does it bring blood sugar levels down – it makes no sense?!

This is not to say I haven’t learnt a lot over the last year. I’ve learnt that exercise is very good for you and makes you feel better, not just because you look better (which is a subjective view) but carrying less weight around makes you feel better physically. Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel good and you know that every sep you take is kicking the diabetes in the ass.

I’ve learnt that low-fat yogurts are stuffed full of sugar and that labels on cans of soup make you get your calculator out to find out the real content – thank you Heinze. I’ve developed a whole new way of eating and that pasta pushes my sugar levels through the roof, as does white bread such as Chiabattas and such Italian delicacies. Noodles do too. I’ve learnt that food labelling is, on the whole, not too bad but that simple rules should be enforced to make it easier to understand.

I’ve learnt that diabetes has an effect on those around me. As I’m concentrating on the skin that’s cracking and sore on my hands through the dehydration others are worried about me and also suffering.

Having diabetes opens up a whole big scary world and one that it’s quite tempting to hide away from. This vast chasm of knowledge seems too large to even attempt to cross and I’d like to say it’s not, but the truth is I still worry about it all the time. I’d like to say there’s an easy answer and if I follow X, Y and Z then I’ll be fine but it’s not like that. I’d like to say that I put aside an hour a week to read up on Diabetes but who wants to bring themselves down when you could be watching the opening ceremony of the World Cup?

It’s been a year and to tell the truth it feels like I’ve climbed up on to the first step of a very steep and rather long staircase.

No comments:

Post a Comment