Saturday, 11 June 2011

dawn of a new day

Just five hours ago I discovered that I am indeed suffering from late onset type 1 diabetes. I feel just like I did the first time I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes – shell shocked. I mentioned some blog posts ago that I attended a study in an Oxford based diabetes clinic looking into MODY – Mature onset Diabetes in Youth. Well they sent my bloods away to be tested but it was highly unlikely I had MODY as the common symptoms and family history were not there, so I forgot about it. I opened the random white letter plucked from my post box and everything changed, ... again!

I’ve spent the last eleven months talking about the effects of type 2 diabetes, about what I’ve learnt and the problems associated with learning about it. About the fear that comes with it, the feelings of regret and disappointment about getting myself into the position. However, it turns out none of that was true. I mean, it was true because that was how I felt, but in fact I have naturally occurring antibodies so it wasn’t just my appetite for all the wrong things.

I’m a bit stumped. The good news is that instead of having early onset type 2 diabetes, which means I got the disease 23 years ahead of time, I actually have late onset type 1 diabetes, which means I gained 25 to 30 years of being diabetes free.

The bad news is that I built up injecting insulin as the one thing I did not want to be doing, that if I ate well and did loads of exercise, drank less and lost weight, that I would avoid having to stick myself for as long as possible. In fact those years have been stolen away from me like the runs a batsman could have scored if it weren’t that his wicket was cart wheeling out of the ground behind him. Truly this news has really stumped me.

It took me a good twelve months to start really getting to grips with type 2, and to be honest there was still a lot more I needed to learn. But if you noticed in my last few blog posts I’ve been complaining that my blood sugar levels weren’t dropping. I couldn’t get them under control. Well I guess now I know why. This little conundrum has now been solved. The problem is I have no idea about how type 1 works.

I’m sure there must be similarities and I’m pretty sure the complications are the same. I’m not sure about how insulin injections work or when to take them. I’m also not sure if I’m now at risk of hypoglycaemic coma and the effects of exercise. If it has nothing to do with lifestyle then how do I treat this bugger? And if I have to do it myself, where do I get to learn about when to inject and how often to monitor my bloods? I don’t mind admitting this is a real bloomin’ pain in the arse that I just didn’t need right now.

Oops, bit of anger there. At least I can recognise the patterns. I think I’ll re-read my old blog posts. I also suppose this gives me more to blog about – I can start again. The only guy to have blogged about having both type 2 and type 1 diabetes! All I need now is some genetic mutation to be discovered in me in a year’s time and more material will present itself – hmm, is this denial!

No comments:

Post a Comment